Blog+Bakery

Hey Readers,

This is the blog for "The Georgetown Foodie" to keep you up to date on the latest from Nightly Noms Bakery/Delivery, simple recipes from our kitchen, and reviews of restaurants across America's college campuses.


A portion of our profits are donated to Operation Smile in efforts to place the same smiles on kids faces that we at Nightly Noms experience from baking! nom nom nom!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Restaurant Review: Tarry Lodge by Mario Batali

Black Fettuccine+Rock Shrimp
Hello Friendly Nomsters,

It's been a while since I wrote about the wonders of a dinner on the town and with my past post about bug eating I think it's high time I give you some pictures of things you would consider eating on the spot rather than as a "life experience." Prior to my travels to Beijing, I ended up with an impromptu layover and visited my roommate and her family in Westport, CT. The Westport and Greenwich areas boast a nice array of dining options due to their proximity to the city, which is why Mario Batali chose to open his second Tarry Lodge restaurant in Westport. With some strategic planning/pestering on my roommate's, part, and a bit of luck we ended up with a reservation during the restaurant's opening week (obviously I was practically jumping out of my seat with excitement when she told me).

The basic fact you need to know about Mario Batali: he's an Iron Chef praised for his impeccably fresh Italian cuisine and known for running around Kitchen Stadium in clogs (of the Dutch variety). From homemade gnocchi to stone oven baked pizzas, Batali prides himself on using the freshest of ingredients to satiate the tastebuds of his loyal critics and customers. He has a wide array of restaurants, mostly in New York, ranging from trattorias to seafood restaurants. Tarry Lodge Enoteca Pizzeria (crudely translated "an informal place to grab some delicious wine, pizza, and pasta"), is one of Batali's  culinary experiences that packs a flavorful and memorable punch.

Tuna Tartar
For dinner we sampled a variety of appetizers and entrees. I personally satisfied my foodie appetite with Tuna Tartar as a starter and a bowl of the Black Fettuccine with Rock Shrimp and Chilis as my entree. The Tuna Tartar was delicious if raw fish is your thing and if your first time going for raw fish (besides sushi) be sure to go someplace that you know uses good cuts and fresh ingredients. A nicely formed mound of raw tuna was placed atop a bed of arugula and mixed greens, finished with small cronstinis for dipping. The tuna mixture had a nice tangy flavor, probably from lime juice. Overall a satisfying small plate, but nothing to moan about.

On the other hand, the Black Fettuccine could have had me out of my seat screaming after the first bite. When I first saw the menu, I wasn't quite sure if I really wanted to try the Black Fettuccine, which is a homemade pasta that turns out black as night due to being made with squid ink. After perusing the rest of the menu, I decided to try something I was less likely to find at another Italian restaurant, than my typically gnocchi overdose. The Black Fettuccine was incredible. The pasta had a hint of seafood due to the squid ink, while the broth was enhanced by the lobster base and rock shrimp topping. There was also grilled corn and onions throughout the dish that added a bit of spice to the pasta. The overall dish was savory, but very light, making it a perfect entree.

Finally, we split an order of tiramisu, which was also quite tasty, but not overwhelmingly sweet, which made it a good ending to a lovely dinner out.

Enjoy Restaurant Week DC!

-gf

No comments:

Post a Comment