Blog+Bakery

Hey Readers,

This is the blog for "The Georgetown Foodie" to keep you up to date on the latest from Nightly Noms Bakery/Delivery, simple recipes from our kitchen, and reviews of restaurants across America's college campuses.


A portion of our profits are donated to Operation Smile in efforts to place the same smiles on kids faces that we at Nightly Noms experience from baking! nom nom nom!

Friday, January 14, 2011

It's all about the Dough! Pre-baking cookie process

Hey Nomsters!

As promised, I'm back with my method (along with many other people's) of the cookie making process that leads up to the actual baking. When I was a kid, I always got excited for certain holidays because I knew Pillsbury would be selling their seasonal sugar cookies in supermarkets! If you don't know which cookies I'm referencing, they're the ones that come with little shapes artificially dyed on them, like Easter Bunny's, Heats, and Snowmen. Besides the cute little pictures on the cookies and the fact that I loved sneaking pieces of the raw cookie dough, the softness and chewiness of these little morsels were soooo good after they'd been baked. So, if you're partial to a softer, chubbier, cookies, this method of "prepping the dough" should be just what you're looking for when you bake your next batch of cookies.

I've always liked my cookies chewy and sort of plump, which never seemed to happen when I first started baking.  The first couple of Snickerdoodle cookie batches always seemed to spread out too much on the cookie sheet, yielding a yummy, but somewhat flat treat. So, I started experimenting, I changed the amount of flour, added a bit more baking powder/soda, or tried to not mix them too much, and while these changes resulted in more favorable cookies, it wasn't until I started freezing or putting my dough in the fridge overnight that I really got the results I wanted! Moist, chewy, little cookies. If you're looking for cookies like I've describe, follow the instructions below and see if you like the results. I think the main pro from chilling he dough before baking the cookies is that the butter in the mixture hardens, which makes the cookies spread slowly on the sheet rather than melt down within 5 minutes.

Basics for a Chewy, "Chubby," Cookie
Disclaimer, if you don't want to "roll" your cookies before you place them in the freezer, you can always just freeze them and roll prior to baking.

-Make your dough (I've found that unless you're working with a finicky recipe, most cookie doughs respond well to chilling)
Post Fridge Roll, Pre Freezer

-Transfer you dough from the mixing bowl to a Tupperware container or another bowl that has been lined with saran wrap so that the edges hang over

-Use the saran wrap to cover the top of the dough and store in the fridge for a couple of hours

-Once dough is firm enough that it doesn't mush all over your hands, start rolling desired size balls of dough and place them in another container (you can layer your dough by rolling enough balls to fit into a container then layer wax paper on top and repeat,

-Place rolled dough in freezer for an hour to harden,

rolled and frozen layered atop each other
-Take rolled dough out, space out on cookie sheet and bake until golden on the edges!

While, I know this seems like a long process, it's worth it for the consistency of cookie. However, if you want a shorter method, just chilling the dough in the freezer or fridge for a few hours/overnight will give you a similar consistency!





after rolling and freezing


end result!


Good luck and Enjoy!
-Georgetown Foodie

No comments:

Post a Comment